Monday, March 30, 2009
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Monday, March 23, 2009
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Friday, March 20, 2009
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
It is difficult to select only seven friends whose work I enjoy and who I admire. I would like to nominate these artists (in no particular order). Please do not feel obligated to participate, but you have my admiration anyway! I know that some of you have received similar awards in the past and that participating in this takes a bit of time which seems to be in short supply for most of us.
1 . Michelle Himes (my sister) who's wonderful watercolors inspired me to begin watercolor painting, She is a good art partner, plein air partner, and workshop partner whenever I want one, and a great sister too. http://www.mhwatercolornotes.blogspot.com/
2 . Jeanne Grant who participates in so many projects where she shares her wonderful art. I met her through WetCanvas and we have shared many scavenger hunts, exchanges, and projects together. She inspires me to get involved in projects and exchanges. http://www.jeannegrant.blogspot.com/
3. Robyn Sinclair who lives in Tuscany (Sigh!) and does gorgeous work in watercolor, oils, pen & ink, and recently prints. She has the courage to try new mediums even if the language difference between her and her instructor is difficult at times. http://www.havedogswilltravel.blogspot.com/
4 . Ai Nukoolkit who lives in Thailand. Her love of color shows through in her lovely watercolors, acrylics, and inks. Even with a husband and small child she finds a way to participate on many projects. http://www.aiarts.blogspot.com/
5. Lin Frye who does wonderful watercolors and no matter what her day has been like at work, still posts something daily! I so admire her dedication to painting and blogging as well as enjoying her lovely work. http://www.viewfromtheoak.blogspot.com/
6. Anita Davies who is from the United Kingdom. Anita amazes me with the number of art projects she has been involved in and the number of wonderful art journals she has created. She has recently taught and spoke about journaling to encourage other artists. http://www.artbyanita.blogspot.com/
7. Jo Castillo is a wonderful pastel painter from Texas. She loves plein air painting and believes in the importance of art friends and support. She often spends time with other artists and participates in artisic charitable fundraisers. http://www.jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
Now for the 7 things I love. Again in no particular order.
1. FAMILY & FRIENDS- THE BACKBONE OF LIFE!
2. SKETCHING & PAINTING- FOOD FOR THE SOUL!
3. THE BEACH- RELAXING, INVIGORATING, AND INSPIRING!
4. THE FEEL OF THE SUN ON MY BODY- ENERGY AND COMFORT!
5. CHOCOLATE - COULD THERE BE LIFE WITHOUT IT?
6. TRAVELING - SEEING AND SHARING THE WORLD!
7. MUSIC- A BIG PART OF THE HEART OF LIFE!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
I know I learned a lot from Eric. I may not be brave enough to paint on full sheets (22 x 30in) again, but a lot of what he showed us could fit into any paintings. Thanks Eric, for a great workshop! Also, many thanks to the other students (including my sister) at Springmaid Beach where the workshop was held, for all your friendship and inspiration that week!
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Friday, March 13, 2009
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
The first day Eric started with a pencil value sketch of a landscape using only 3 values. He followed that with a single color painting and then a full color painting. He stressed value shifts and when painting to have the lighter washes run through or into the darker values. He also told us to focus on saving our lights. I painted "Carolina Barn" from photos I had taken recently while driving through North Carolina. (Many thanks to Lin Frey for steering me to some great barn roads!)