I HAVE MOVED!

I have moved!!! Please come visit my new blog at:

http://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Friday, September 19, 2008

North Rim View



Here is another 4 x 6 ink and watercolor done for my Vacations exchange on WetCanvas. I used a reference photo that I took (one of hundreds) when I visited the Grand Canyon a few years ago. I find the Grand Canyon a difficult subject to paint. There is too much landscape and it is difficult to convey the depth of the view or make each group of rocks stand apart from the others. I was happy with the way this came out.

4 comments:

Lin said...

I was at the Grand CAnyon years ago, and you're so right -- it's enormity is so challenging -- but you did a fabulous job here, Joan .. showing some of its vastness and the miles and miles of ridges... LOVE the tree too!

Have a safe and terrific trip!

Jo Castillo said...

Great job on this, Joan. Hard to depict the vastness of it all.

Joan said...

Lin - Thanks. It is so hard to depict the vastness of each ridge.

Jo - Thank you. I had to give it another try, especially in the vacation exchange.

Indigo Jo said...

Joan, OMG! You painted 'North Rim View' so freakin' gorgeous! Not to mention you used a photo as your source... (!) You know camera lenses aren't as novel as our eyes so they flatten images out, and we lose depth. Yeah, I paint from photos too, because I'm too excited on location! This painting is so strong, as you used colors to show depth. I think your ink & watercolor works are incredible. (Jo from Texas & WC dot com)