I HAVE MOVED!

I have moved!!! Please come visit my new blog at:

http://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pouring Workshop - Abstract


This past week my sister and I took a pouring workshop with Jean Grastorf in SC at the Springmaid Watermedia Workshops. To do our pours we used a very limited palette of 3 staining colors-a yellow, a red, and a blue. This abstract was the first piece I started pouring on. We traced our hands, and assorted objects and stencils that were in the room. Using masking fluid we masked out whatever areas we wanted to leave white, and then poured the solutions of the 3 colors over our wet paper, allowing it to mingle before pouring it off. Once that layer was dry we did the same with the next area, masking out the next lightest areas and pouring a stronger value of the same colors. This particular painting has about 5 layers of pours on it. When all the pours are dry the masking is removed from the painting.

7 comments:

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Joan it's absolutely GREAT! What a wonderful experience for you and your sister. Happy you are back. I know about the snow. Spring will come to us soon.

All the best to you
Joan

Anonymous said...

Joan, this is fascinating! Pouring is mesmerising and a totally different way of watercolour painting, isn't it? I can't quite grasp it all yet, but have been using pours as backgrounds for abstract Asian type florals and it creates a nice effect. One of my students from my class last week did a wonderful masked and poured vase and daffs at home with Winsor Yellow, Winsor Blue and Winsor Red (following my instruction sheet) and it turned out really nice. I can't quite get my thoughts around all the masking and re-masking that goes on..... and miss direct painting and brushstrokes!!! What a fun thing to do with your sister.

Lin said...

WOWOW! HOW FUN!!! I LOVE the collaged look of this - and those incredible blends that just can't be done any other way!!! I can't wait to see more!

Joan said...

Joan - Thanks. It doesn't seem much like spring yet!

Maggie - Thank you. Masking is so different. I think you have to think differently from a traditional painting, and Jean Grastorf does the entire painting that way.

Lin - Thanks! We had a lot of fun and learned a lot...now I have to practice it.

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

Isn't it fun to take art classes with your sister?

Love the abstract pouring. Would love to try this some day.

Michelle Himes said...

Yours came out good. These were a fun and "non-threatening" way to get us into pouring. :-)

Autumn Leaves said...

Look at those gorgeous walls!