I HAVE MOVED!

I have moved!!! Please come visit my new blog at:

http://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Eric Wiegard Workshop - Day 2 - "Maine Cove"

Here is a continuation of the workshop with Eric Wiegard. The second day's lesson was on not overmixing the paints on the palette, and connecting shapes similar in value. Eric would touch his brush to 3, 4, or 5 colors and them do a figure 8 on the palette to just barely mix the colors. That way there would be a variety of colors in each stroke. He did a value sketch of a marine scene and then did a full sized painting. Having been around boats his whole life, he knows what all the parts are and what they look like. Even with a photo I'm sitting there trying to figure out what certain parts are and what they're connected to. lol I did this painting from one of my own photos of Maine.

5 comments:

Lin said...

THIS IS SO GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDD JOAN!! I LOVE WHAT YOU'VE LEARNED. THERE'S A FRESHNESS TO THIS THAT IS SO 'WATERCOLOR WONDERFUL'!!!!!! Does your instructor have a book or dvd?

Michelle Himes said...

I like your boat a lot better than mine. We need to go boat sketching sometime this summer.

Bonny said...

I think this is a very nice painting, Joan@ Boats are not that easy to do - I can't do them - but your painting turned out really well :))

Joan said...

Lin - Thanks. He has a book and several DVDs. I'll look at home to see if I have a link to them.

Mickey - Thank you. I like your boat. We just have to learn more about boats so we can do them justice.

Bonny - Thanks so much. I really need to study boats a bit more and maybe that will help.

Carrie said...

This is my favorite of the bunch. Boats in every region of the US have a little different appearance. I have always liked how the East Coast trawlers look. I like the balance of shapes and how your colors work together in this piece. Keep it up Joan!