A lot of planning went into the poured representational paintings we did. First we did a sketch, and then a value study. This was the map to our pour so we would know which areas needed to be masked out first, second, etc. It makes it possible to see the lights, mid-tones, and darks. Of course transferring the image to the watercolor sheet took a while. I do hate graphite paper! lol Once the image was visible (I always had to go over my lines from the graphite paper) and the first masking dried we could pour. At times it seems that you have more paint on your hands instead of the paper. I used a reference photo I took in Provence for this painting. This one is a half sheet size.
Please check the post below for the abstract I did in Jean's class.