I HAVE MOVED!

I have moved!!! Please come visit my new blog at:

http://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Monday, April 13, 2009

22nd World Wide SketchCrawl


















Saturday, April 11 was the World Wide SketchCrawl. The weather in NY was rainy so my sister, Michelle, and I needed an indoor spot to sketch. We decided to drive into Manhattan to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We sketched in the Greek and Roman art collections. My sketches include left to right - part of the columns and upper floors as seen from the bench we were able to find and a marble statue of a seated muse. Because we were in the museum we couldn't sketch with anything other than pencil. The second page of sketches include a marble statue of Herakles seated on a rock and an urn that is a piece of Roman funeary art. I added color with my watercolor pencils and wet them with water when I got home. The third page is a marble statue of a Greek youth with another room in the background. I also found a spot that had a wonderful view of the city out one of the museum's arched windows. We were there for about 4/5 hours and then drove down to see the American Watercolor Society Show at the Salamagundi Club on 5th Ave and 12th St. We were lucky enough to find parking on the street right outside the building, so when we were finished viewing the paintings, we came out, sat in the car, and sketched the building. All in all, it was a fun adventure sketching in Manhattan.


6 comments:

Michelle Himes said...

I think we did great considering how crowded it was and how hard to get an unobstructed view. I really like your window view sketch - wish I had noticed the windows sooner. We definitely have to do that again.

Joan said...

Thanks, Mickey. It was a fun day and a good spot to sketch on a rainy day. I don't know what made me look up and notice the window with all those statues around.

Lin said...

These are FABULOUS, Joan ... oh hon, it has been 9forevers since I've been to the Museum of Art ... I envy you your proximity!!! Grand grand job and congrats on making such good use of your time despite the weather!

Joan said...

Lin - Thanks. From my house it takes about 1 1/2 hrs to get into Manhattan, so my visits aren't very often. Michelle lives closer, but we rarely go in together. This was a change for us!

Jo Castillo said...

What a great day with some great results. Painting/sketching with someone is always fun.

Mithila said...

You seem to have had a great day, not just going to the Met (ahhhh...), but having artistic company. Sometimes, I long to paint along with someone else, but there are so few chances to do that.